Necanicum (12 miles Southeast of Seaside on HIghway 26 (aka Sunset Highway fkna Wolf Creek Highway) was originally called Ahlers for Herman Ahlers, a local resident. The name was changed to Push on April 13, 1899. It was changed to Necanicum on May 27, 1907 because the river nearby was so named. The river had originally been named the Clatsop River by William Clark but the name Necanicum, derived from Ne-hay-ne-hum, an Indian lodge located up stream prevailed. Herman Ahlers served as post master of Ahlers, Push and Necanicum, all the same community. West Oregon maintains a 3,000 kva substation which provides feeds along the Highway 26 and up to Hamlet.
Sometimes called 'Necanicum Junction', Oregon Highway 53 branches south into Tillamook County from here.See also: