Hayward was named at the suggestion of the local congressman, Binger Hermann, when local political pressure resulted in splitting folks away from the Greenville post office, with the creation of a new post office. It was established Dec. 19, 1891 and discontinued Nov 25, 1904. Apparently Nichlaus Bothman was instrumental in establishing the post office and his wife was the first post "master". Of note, is that a son, Robert Bothman, recently retired after a long and distinguished career in the Oregon Department of Transportation, including serving as its director. Hayward is located on the high ground West of Banks and between Manning and Gales Creek. Indeed the Hayward Road turnoff is to be found on U.S. Highway 26 in lovely downtown Manning not far from the Dairy Queen.